Sunday, December 18, 2022

Can St. Nicholas Return a Romantic Partner?

 Song 646: This week on the playlist you can hear Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me) by Elvis Presley, written by Aaron Schroeder and Claude Demetrius, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The last time I featured Elvis in this collection was 52 weeks ago, when I made Blue Christmas Song 594. Mr. Presley recorded this classic a few days before my sixth birthday, but I knew very little about him while growing up. My parents and grandparents opposed the devil's music and I assumed most of the rest of the older generation did as well, so I could not have imagined back then that my best friend's mother was a big fan of the Elvis guy - a fact that I only found out about in recent years, shortly before she died. I did see at least one or two performances by him on the Ed Sullivan Show, but what I witnessed didn't grab my ears the way the Fab Four had. However, when I left the fundamentalist nest and began my own life as an independent young adult, having the freedom to pursue an interest in RnR, I soon learned a lot more about the groundbreaking sounds Mr. Presley had sparked, and I came to understand why the Beatles had all named him as their primary inspiration. As I expanded my LP stack, I added a 33 that included this moving carol and then it became a regular part of the melodies that enlivened my holiday season. Personally, I also don't need a lot of presents to make my Christmas bright. You can go ahead and fill my sock with candy and a bright and shiny toy, since the Christmas tree is ready and the candles all aglow. Happy Merry, Merry Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment