Sunday, December 19, 2021

Colorful Observance

 Song 594: This week the playlist comes around to Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley, written by Billy Hayes and Jay W. Johnson, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Considering the special day that will arrive at the end of the week, this seems like the appropriate moment to feature a major noel classic. Mr. Presley's version of this yuletide ride first appeared on his 1957 LP Elvis' Christmas Album, but growing up in a household where the adults despised the devil's music, I knew next to nothing about the RnR star, the exception being Hound Dog (Song 433). As a young man in the 1970s, though, I soon learned a lot about the 1950s rockers that had laid the foundation for the musical style I had come to savor, and at a certain point I got an Elvis hit collection 33 that included this shiner, which would become one of my repeated 12/25 spinners. Last year my neighborhood had a white Xmas after a record blizzard at the beginning of December left behind very deep piles that lasted well beyond the holidays. This year, the community looks quite green, but that doesn't bother me. If those blue snowflakes start fallin', however, I will know that's when those blue memories start callin'. Regardless of what does or does not come out of the sky this week, Merry Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment