Sunday, December 12, 2021

Associated With Darkness

 Song 593: This week the playlist applauds Because the Night by Patti Smith Group, written by Bruce Springsteen and Patti Smith, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Other than my personal friend song post 2 weeks ago (which I do every 7 weeks), all the artists I featured in the last 6 weeks appeared in this group for the first time, including Prince, Carly Simon, Woody Guthrie, Queen, The Animals and now PSG. This compelling jaunt arrived just before the spring of my final year in the Chicago area, as I planned to point my thumb towards the West Coast in the unfolding summer of 1978, and it enlivened the radio waves during the stretch when the daylight hours grew longer. I had not gotten that thrilled with most of the Springsteen releases of the previous years, but this one did grab my attention, as Ms. Smith took a Bruce idea and added her inspired soundings to it, getting listeners like me to relish singing along with her memorable lines. As the unresolved pandemic situation keeps going on, try and understand that love is a banquet on which we feed. With love we sleep, whereas, with doubt the vicious circle turns and burns, so hopefully those who sew the doubt can't hurt you now because the night belongs to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment