Sunday, December 11, 2022

Carnivore Vision

 Song 645: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Eye of the Tiger by Survivor, written by Frankie Sullivan and Jim Peterik, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. About a year before this tough rumbler arrived in1982, I had moved over to Berkeley, CA, after residing for 3 years in nearby Oakland. The 6-bedroom house where I rented a room had, a couple of years earlier, become the dwelling for a quintet that had originated from the singer/songwriter circle that I had hung out with, but then the band split up, and soon enough at least one member moved out, and I happily took up the available space. I liked living only a few blocks from the pizza joint basement performance arena where my creative friends routinely gathered. Most of them seemed to primarily have an interest in the folkie acoustic realm, but my housemate Bob Nichols, who had played bass for the home's band when he first moved in, did also share my appreciation for the heavier sounds of movers like this Survivor hit. As much as I rolled with this ride, though, I did not care for its connection to the film Rocky 3. I thought the first one of that series was OK, but it didn't thrill me, and I had no interest in the movie’s followups. Now, 4 decades later, I personally have not lost my grip on the dreams of the past, and I know I must fight just to keep them alive, so I intend to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment