Sunday, August 22, 2021

A Rocking Feline

 Song 577: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's furry ramble Pussy Cat comes from another one of my Fast Folk colleagues, Richard Julian, written by David Richards and Richard Julian, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. RJ was actually the one who introduced me to the FF bunch, telling me one night at the Speakeasy club about where and when to join the group's weekly meetings, which I did at their very next gathering. I spent a lot of time as part of that circle over the next few years, but in early 1994 I drifted away. However, a couple of years later, while working with David Seitz and his independent record company Prime CD, he got involved with Fast Folk, and so I did the graphic work for the Rebirth CD (volume 8, issue 7) for which David did the recording work, and which includes this track. When I got to hear the disc, this cut quickly grabbed my attention. In fact, it played a role in inspiring my feline anthem It Takes a Cat, which I recently did a YouTube lyric video for that you can check out by clicking on the title. 25 years after this gem arrived, it still looks like we better make a new plan or we're gonna land down in the hole shovelling coal. Even so, it also still feels good to imagine that one can see the cat chasing the air, leaping and swinging like there's something there - that pussy cat in a rocking chair with big gray eyes and a curious stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment