Sunday, August 15, 2021

A Blazing Circle

 Song 576: This week the playlist comes around to Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash, written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Growing up in a family where the parents and grandparents did not approve of the devil's music (RnR) but who had no objections to C&W (country and western), and having Ohio relatives that we visited every other summer who were major country fans, during the 1960s I often knew a lot more about C&W chart movers than I did about the RnR ones. Even before the 1960s arrived, I relished a couple of JC singles (I Walk the Line and Don't Take Your Guns to Town). Around the time I turned 11, another Cash 45 came along - Busted (Song 447). I liked that spinner quite a bit, and then he followed it up with this hit, which moved me even more, and which made the newer decade sound more lively, a good 9 months before a quartet called The Fab Four took the music scene up to a whole new level. Back in the era when this blazer lit up the charts, we already knew that love is a burning thing and it makes a fiery ring, bound by wild desire, and now, nearly 6 decades later, the taste of love is still as sweet as it ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment