Sunday, August 29, 2021

Farewell Romantic Companion

 Song 578: This week the playlist recognizes Bye Bye Love by The Everly Brothers, written by David Richards and Richard Julian, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I had originally planned to feature a different tune tonight, but then Don Everly passed away a week ago yesterday, on August 21, so this became an appropriate moment to debut him and his sibling on the playlist. Of course it's ironic that a guy who sang the line I feel like I could die at the age of 20 would make it nearly halfway through his 88th year, and we can appreciate the fact that he did both of these things. I don't recall exactly when this cut first got my attention, but I do know that it enriched my single-digit years well before the new decade arrived. The hit topped the country charts as well as the rock ones, so it could easily grace my family circle in the era when it appeared. I also remember it coming across the airwaves as a shining golden oldie at least a couple of times during my HS stretch, and I relished its glow. In addition, I could tell how much Phil and Don had influenced other duos like the Simon and Garfunkel pair, and had done so in a very favorable way. Sadly, due to the current pandemic situation, a lot of people have had to say bye bye happiness, hello loneliness, and hello emptiness, knowing that they're through with counting the stars above. However, maybe someday we'll get beyond this trauma and again have a reason to be so free.

No comments:

Post a Comment