Sunday, August 8, 2021

An Extended Chronology

 Song 575: This week on the playlist you can hear Tomorrow Is a Long Time by Judy Collins, written by Bob Dylan, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. It seems a bit ironic to get to this high a figure before including a gem that I considered my #1 favorite recording back in the early 1970s, when I finished my second decade and started a third one. Ms. Judy Blue Eyes (as in Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, which is Song 566) first appeared on my radar, as did Joni Mitchell, when Both Sides Now rose up the charts in the fall of my senior HS year, and the following year, as a freshman at N.U., my musical horizons greatly expanded and I listened to a lot more of the folkie types who would strongly influence the original singer/songwriter style that I put together in that era. When I first heard this piece it topped my list, and I always relished the way JC enlivened a Dylan sparkler with a melodic acoustic guitar frame. I admired Mr. Zimmerman's rough edgy approach, but I also liked it when folks such as Ms. Judy added a compelling tuneful element to one of his treasures. Once again, with all the pandemic question marks still hanging in the air, today can feel like an endless highway, tonight can look like a crooked trail, and tomorrow can seem like a long time, but I'd say there still is beauty in the silver singin' river and there is beauty in the sunrise in the skies. I understand that currently some can't remember the sound of their own names, but I can, and tonight I plan to lie in my bed once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment