Sunday, June 6, 2021

An Attractive Female With a Sad Viewpoint

 Song 566: This week on the playlist you’ll find Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills & Nash, written by Stephen Stills, and you can check out a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When this captivating portrait appeared a couple of years after the pair that I featured in the last two weeks (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Judy in Disguise), I thought it might have a vague connection with them, although I soon found out that Stephen's primary inspiration came from his romance with Judy Collins. Being a big fan of the Byrds, I already had plenty of respect for David Crosby, and the impressive 3-part harmonies he had now crafted with a previous Buffalo Springfield member and a former Hollie would increase my veneration for him and his new partners. Having grown up playing violin in elementary, junior high and high school orchestras, I had learned a lot about classical music, including how the term suite defined a type of composition structure, and then Mr. Stills provided me with a modern example of how to apply that concept to contemporary song design. In light of the current question marks hanging in the air, I think we should not let the past remind us of what we are not now. We have seen that fear is the lock and laughter the key to so many hearts, and we still don’t know the answer when someone asks, “How can you catch the sparrow?"

No comments:

Post a Comment