Sunday, June 27, 2021

An Undecorated Moniker

 Song 569: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Judy by Elvis Presley, written by Teddy Redell, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I had known 3 of the previous 4 Judy tunes quite well, and I think I also had some familiarity with the other one, but I will admit I just found out about Mr. Presley’s Judy jam a few weeks ago, when I first perused the list of top Judy songs. Still, a single listen convinced me that it deserved to appear on that list, and it had actually reached #78 on the Billboard Hot 100 back in September of 1967, shortly after my 16th birthday. Growing up, I knew almost nothing about Elvis - I think the only record of his I heard in those years was Hound Dog (Song 433), and it greatly surprised me during my HS era to learn that he had been the one who inspired the Beatles. A few years later, as my knowledge of the 1950s RnR pioneers expanded, so did my respect for Mr. Presley, and I added to my collection at least one of the compilation LPs he released during that stretch, plus, I clearly understood what a deep loss the rock world experienced on August 16, 1977. Back then, as in our current strange situation, I could have sympathized with someone saying don’t let our sweet love wither and die like flowers in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment