Sunday, May 30, 2021

A Female Hiding Behind Spectacles

 Song 565: This week the playlist features Judy in Disguise (With Glasses) by John Fred and His Playboy Band, written by John Fred Gourrier and Andrew Bernard, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Computer problems prevented me from doing a post last Sunday night, but anyway, tonight's hit appeared a few months after the cut from 2 weeks ago, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. At the time it arrived, I suspected that the newer track had a relationship with the earlier one, and now, I can confirm that thought - Wikipedia explains that JFG, on hearing the Beatles' ramble, believed Mr. Lennon was singing Lucy in disguise, and on finding out the real words, Mr. Gourrier then had a fresh lyrical idea in hand. I will readily admit that I myself have crafted original phrases a few times thanks to experiencing a mondegreen, and have relished the inspiration. When the Playboy Band 45 came out, I actually liked it better than the Fab Four opus, though my assessments changed a couple of years later, when, as a young adult, I began acquiring my own record collection, but I still enjoyed this ride. If I happened to see lemonade pies with a brand new car, that might really unzipper the strings of my kite, but hopefully it wouldn't lead to a circus of horrors.

No comments:

Post a Comment