Sunday, May 9, 2021

Noteworthy Equine Character

 Song 563: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's captivating mover Crazy Horse comes from one of my Fast Folk colleagues, Josh Joffen, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When I moved from CA to Brooklyn at the end of the summer in 1988, I soon got to know him, and since we lived fairly close to each other, I think we made a few gig trips side by side in my van. I still recall one particular excursion we did during the warmer months of 1989 when we headed for a club in New England, and we got slowed down a bit by the jams on Bushwick Ave. While I did get to hear and savor a few of Josh's jewels, I had never heard this shining gem until today, but it quickly got my attention the first time around. Not only do I relish and admire the subject of its lines, which show appreciation for a striking indigenous warrior, but the lyrical and musical styles employed to express those deep thoughts remind me of the way I often put my pieces together. Though I had not previously considered it in this manner, I can now clearly see how a man carves a man out of a mountain and a mountain draws a mountain from the man. In addition, If our time should come to pass that our kind is gone at last, I can picture how Crazy Horse (or actually a carved-out statue of him) will stand as a reminder to the spirit of a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment