Sunday, September 5, 2021

The Witching Hour Mover

 Song 579: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Midnight Rambler by The Rolling Stones, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Following last week's post of an Everly Brother's hit meant to memorialize the recent passing of Don Everly, this week's rocker from the Rolling Stones can serve to commemorate drummer Charlie Watts, who left the land of the living on Tuesday, August 24, only 3 days after Don's demise. My appreciation for the RS 5 began when Satisfaction (Song 256) hit the airwaves, but it greatly increased soon after I arrived in college a few years later. Hank Neuberger, who lived in the dorm room across the hall from mine, had a very good sound system for highlighting his amazing LP collection, and in the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones debate, he leaned strongly towards the latter, so he introduced me to some RS classics I hadn't heard, plus he shared their latest disc, which featured this cut. While I still favored the Fab Four over the Rolling Five, Hank definitely did increase my respect for Mick & Co., and soon enough, I did add Let It Bleed to my stockpile. This track opens side 2 of the 33, and I liked it so much that I would sometimes just play it over and over. It was one of the final recordings to include the band's founder Brian Jones, who I have long admired, and who died before the album got released. I really relish the slide guitar and harmonica embellishments, and I have savoured the lines that tell a story simllar to one which I crafted shortly before first hearing the Stones roller. You can find a lyric video of my ramble called The Wanderer by clicking on the title, so if you ever meet the midnight rambler coming down your marble hall, I guess you can say I told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment