Sunday, September 26, 2021

An Expansive Romantic Footprint

 Song 582: This week on the playlist you can hear Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse, written by Tony Macaulay and Barry Mason, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During the winter months of my college freshman year, this entertaining ramble topped the charts, and when it crossed the airwaves I liked riding the tide with it. I had found myself under harsh criticism from my new dorm roommate, who himself had writing ambitions and who verbally disparaged the lyrics of my compositions that I played for him, with the one shining exception being a piece called The Wanderer that I wrote a couple of months before we began sharing the same living space (and you can find a lyric video of that sparkler by clicking on the title). He tried to move me more in the direction of serious-message songwriters such as Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, and by the time summer break arrived he had gotten me headed down that path, but I could still relish the kind of bland romantic meandering that this EL cut personifies. After all, as a young adult male, I knew that with a certain female there was something about her hand holding mine - it was a feeling that was fine, because she really had a magical spell that was working so well that I couldn't get away from it, and I had no reason to want to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment