Sunday, September 12, 2021

Another Blazing Spiral

 Song 580: This week the playlist applauds Ring of Fire by Social Distortion, written by June Carter and Merle Kilgore, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I posted the Johnny Cash version of this tune 4 weeks ago (Song 576), and I had intended to feature this other rendition after doing so, but the following week was my 7th week personal friend time, and then a couple of recent deaths (Don Everly and Charlie Watts) moved me to highlight recordings where they played their parts. The SD punk rockers put out this track back in 1980, but it didn't cross my radar until shortly after the 2004 November Presidential election, which I strongly suspected W and the Chainy Snake had stolen as much as (or possibly even more than) the one they grabbed 4 years earlier. Clicking on the title Chainy Snake here will take you to a lyric video on YouTube of the anthem I wrote about W's partner in crime. Not long after that late fall fraud, I discovered a few trustworthy sources of information, including the Ring of Fire Radio podcast, and I soon came to appreciate RFK Jr.'s contributions to the segments. I became a regular listener of that show for the next few years, and I always liked the sound of their theme song, which obviously did not come from Mr. Cash. Due to the current unresolved pandemic situation, we have the social distancing form of social distortion, and hearts like ours don't get to meet as often as previously, but the taste of love is still sweet, and maybe this scenario will get worked out soon and we'll stop going down down down.

No comments:

Post a Comment