Sunday, September 19, 2021

Facing a Favorable Outcome

 Song 581: This week on the playlist you’ll find It's Gonna Be Alright by Gerry and the Pacemakers, written by Gerry Marsden, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This marks the first appearance of Gerry and Co. on the list - a quartet who came along with their fellow Liverpudlians The Fab Four as part of the 1964 British Invasion. Soon after those Beatles rocked my world during the winter of my first year at Junior High, I started learning about their comrades, including the Pacemaker four. I remember one weekend night when I hung out with a few friends inside the porch of a house a half-mile down the road from my home, and as we played cards and listened to the radio, this shiner lit the airwaves, and I relished it when it did, possibly thinking that it might have improved my odds. The magic of that moment has lingered with me for well over 5 decades now, and perhaps it makes sense to honor this hit during the year that sadly marked the end of the lead singer's life. Gerry left the land of the living on January 3rd, and this coming Friday, 9/24, he could have celebrated his 79th birthday if he had survived. Facing the pandemic question marks still hanging in the air, maybe once in a while my heart skips a beat but I continue to believe that it's gonna be alright, alright, alright, it's gonna be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment