Sunday, January 22, 2023

Fair Phantom

 Song 651: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Guinnevere by Crosby, Stills and Nash, written by David Crosby, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Since the sad news about Mr. Crosby arrived a few days ago, I decided to add another one of his sparklers to this bunch - the one that he once said in a Rolling Stone interview "… might be my best song." Not long after the Byrds took off in 1965, they became my #2 group, just behind the Fab Four. Then, 4 years later, around the time I started my freshman year at N.U. and moved into a student dormitory, a supergroup trio that included a former Byrd got their harmonies riding the airwaves. Of course I relished their opener Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (Song 566), but I also soon noticed, and quickly began appreciating, the third track on side one of their premier LP. I thought the tune had a very innovative cool-sounding melodic and timing approach, and that the chording sounded unique as well. I liked Mr. Crosby letting us know that Seagulls circle endlessly, and since they do, that fact could give someone a reason to sing in silent harmony, understanding that as a result, he/she would be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment