Sunday, January 15, 2023

Singular Perception

 Song 650: This week the playlist comes around to One Vision by Queen, written by Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I lived in Berkeley, CA, back in the mid-1980s when this sounding arrived, and I don't recall exactly when it first caught my ears, but I did find its unique quality quite entertaining. In fact, it reminded me of some of my own personal keyboard rambles, which, other than Can't Catch the Train - a song from my 1985 cassette release Going My Way which will soon come around to CD form - I never got around to recording any of those other wild rides in a studio, and I still haven't yet done any of them. Queen got their inspiration for this excursion from Martin Luther King, Jr., and with today being his actual birthday - he would have been 94 had he made it to today - plus tomorrow being the holiday that honors him, tonight is the appropriate moment to feature this record. I still remember hearing the speech where he expressed having a dream that someday his children would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. That was truly a dream of sweet illusion, a glimpse of hope and unity and visions of one sweet union. However, a cold wind blows and a dark rain falls, and I don’t know if that dream can ever come true, but maybe at some point in the future we can really have One Vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment