Sunday, January 29, 2023

Heading Towards a Historic Location

 This week the playlist features Going Down to Liverpool by the Bangles, written by Kimberley Rew, and you can find an amusing YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When the first LP by the Bangles started spinning in the spring of 1984, I resided in a 6-bedroom house in Berkeley, CA, which had become the home for a half dozen of us singer/songwriter types who had made a nearby pizza parlor our favorite hangout and performance arena. Having grown up in a lightly-patriarchal religious abode, even when I began my second independent adult decade, I sometimes still held onto bits of an inherited male supremacy ideology until I saw and heard such ideas contradicted by reality. I wondered if only guys could do hard rock, but then this female quartet proved to me that women could indeed hit a heavy beat, and I liked hearing them do that.  As a clue about the musical ramble I intend to highlight next week, I'll admit that I do plan on going down to Liverpool, but not simply to do nothing - I want to share my fascination for a hit by that urban center's most famous four.

No comments:

Post a Comment