Sunday, February 5, 2023

Her Romantic Attraction

 Song 653: This week on the playlist you’ll find She Loves You by The Beatles, written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When I began hearing my fellow junior high schoolmates use a certain insect term on Monday, February 10, 1964, it sounded strange to keep encountering that word on a cold mid-winter day. I seemed to have missed a consequential story and I didn't want to admit my lack of touch, but as the phenomenon continued, at some point that week I had to ask a buddy what was going on. He chuckled when he heard his supposedly smart friend pose such a question. Similar to around a third of the U.S. population, he had seen the Fab Four on Sunday night's Ed Sullivan Show and he told me a bit about those Beatles that everyone had been mentioning. When the next Sunday night arrived, my family gathered in the living room to watch Ed Sullivan instead of going to church. The mop top quartet soon hit the stage, and though I thought they looked a bit weird, they rocked my world as they performed this remarkable mover. Unlike my older brother, my parents and my grandparents, my younger brother and I quickly felt that seeing and hearing these Beatles can't be bad, and any time you had that privilege, you should be glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment