Sunday, February 26, 2023

Posterior Approach Fellow

 Song 656: This week the playlist recognizes Back Door Man by Howlin' Wolf, written by Wiilie Dixon, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When the Beatles rocked my world in February of 1964, I quickly became a fan of the British Invasion, but living in a fundamentalist home, I had no idea about the origin of the devil's music. I listened to Top 40 radio whenever I could, and I liked all the punchy sounds I heard, as well as the melodic and harmonic ones, but I didn't have a clue about where the heavier beats had arisen. I wrongly believed the Fab Four and their so-called imitators had created RnR, and I didn't know the real story until I hit the age of 18 as a college freshman. Then, residing in a university dormitory, I soon learned about where the rhythm really came from. As the 1970s unfolded and I got to hear a lot more earlier rockers, I found out about the guy who had done the first presentation of a song I strongly relished. The Doors' debut album became probably my favorite 33 during my HS stage, and I added their version of Back Door Man to this collection as Song 608. When I finally got to hear the original rendition of the rumbler, I immediately appreciated its heavy soundprint and the groundwork that it had created. I felt that even when everybody's tryin' to sleep, I might want to go somewhere making my midnight creep just to hear a beat like this that I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment