Sunday, May 15, 2022

The Singular Escapee

 Song 615: This week the playlist applauds The One That Got Away by Tom Waits, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When Mr. Waits first crossed my radar, he didn't sound very interesting to me, but that shifted in a large way when his Small Change appeared a couple of years later in 1976, so during the last two years I resided in the Chicago region, I became a big Tom fan. I gave SC plenty of turntable spins while on that stretch, relishing the clever illuminating word-play territory that the 33 rode along. I doubt that I personally could have been on Easy Street or had irons in the fire, and I don't recall wearing any peculiar-looking trousers or old Italian shoes, plus I don't think I've ever had a snakeskin sportshirt. Even if I suddenly lost my equilibrium and my car keys and my pride in the cold outside, no matter how much the tattoo parlor's warm, I would not hustle there inside because I have no interest in the ink, regardless of The One That Got Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment