Sunday, May 1, 2022

Obvious Insanity

 Song 613: This week the playlist recognizes Mama He's Crazy by The Judds, written by Kenny O'Dell, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I had intended to spotlight someone else tonight, but then the sad news arrived that yesterday Naomi, the mama in this mother/daughter duo, left the land of the living, so this became an appropriate moment to feature them, in particular doing a song where the word mama appears lots of times. This marks the second Judd appearance in this bunch - I branded Why Not Me as Song 287 back in early 2016. During the era when The Judds started getting noticed in the 1980s, I lived in the East Bay area and had begun playing bass with a country bar band, among my many activities, so as a result I paid more attention to country stations, and I really relished the rambles by this mother and daughter team, including this humorous excursion. Later, in the 1990s, I made a sly reference to the pair in the line from my anthem As Long as Merle is Still Haggard (which you can hear and see a YouTube video of by clicking on the title) where I mention that Wynonna, she's Judd fine. Wynonna, of course, is the daughter, who is still with us, fortunately. This tune, interestingly enough, has a line He thinks I hung the moon and stars. Currently I'm working on producing an updated CD version of my 1985 cassette-only release Going My Way which includes a number titled Moon and Morning Sun in which I assert that a certain young female I know IS to me both the moon and the star that lightens our planet every morning, so I guess it makes sense that, inspired by this ride, I wrote a country-flavored jaunt called I'm Just Crazy. So do you think you'd better look before you leap? I'd say maybe so, but here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment