Sunday, May 29, 2022

Taking a Late Stroll

 Song 617: This week on the playlist you can hear Walkin' After Midnight by Patsy Cline, written by Alan Block and Donn Hecht, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This Cline classic arrived and became her first hit in 1957. At some point 2 or 3 years later I got to hear it regularly as part of one of the C&W hit collection LPs that my Ohio aunt and uncle would let me spin on their turntable, among others, during our summer family visits in the 1960s, when we made the trip on the even-numbered years. While I Fall to Pieces (Song 385) soon became my favorite Patsy chart-topper, this one came in at a close second-place spot, and I always enjoyed the way it took an enlivened romantic stroll, making me feel like I'd savor sauntering next to her, regardless of how late the move might occur. If I stop to see a weepin' willow cryin' on his pillow, I would doubt he's cryin' for me but as the skies turn gloomy I might hear the night winds whisper to me - that could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment