Sunday, June 5, 2022

Your Particular Profile

 Song 618: This week the playlist recognizes The Shape You're In by Eric Clapton, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Oddly enough, this marks Mr. Clapton's first appearance in this group. I of course have already featured 3 Cream sparklers and will certainly add a few others over time, but I got well past #600 before adding one of Eric's solo gems. In the era when he released the 33 that included this cut, I lived in Berkeley, CA, and hung out with a circle of fellow singer/songwriter types there. When I got to hear the tracks from Money and Cigarettes, I thought it sounded like one of the best EC discs overall, even though it didn't have any particular shiners that outdid the Cream chart-toppers. I had already started working on the recording project that would become my first cassette release Going My Way in 1985 which has 4 blues-flavored rambles in the 14-song collection, and I have to give Eric some credit for influencing my guitar riffs in pieces of those jaunts. I hope to have an updated CD version of GMW ready for release in a few months. Over the last year, Clapton got a lot of criticism for telling the story about his personal adverse reaction to a jab, but I don't know how sharing facts about a bad effect makes someone anti-vaxx. Maybe he had to take it easy, take it slow, but it was OK with him for the whole world to know about the shape he was in.

No comments:

Post a Comment