Sunday, June 19, 2022

Deity Departed From the Windy City

 Song 620: This week on the playlist you’ll find Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top, written by Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Last week might have been a better time to highlight this rocker, since on the day before, Saturday, 6/11, the trio’s drummer Frank Beard celebrated his 73rd birthday, but it had to appear this week because Song 619 had to be a personal friend composition, following the schedule of doing one of those every 7 weeks. Regardless, I would bet that Rube, as he got called on the LP that featured this jaunt, probably had an enjoyable natal day celebration. Not long after La Grange (Song 366) grabbed everyone’s attention in the summer of 1974, I added Tres Hombres to my 33 stack, and it soon got a lot of turntable spins. This shiner comes on just after the album opener, with no pause, and quickly moves the listener in a slightly different, but just as strong, direction. Ironically, I had left Chicago early in 1974, but had unintentionally returned during the summer. Listening to TH while continuing to reside in the Chicago area for a few years, I often wished I could have once again Just Left Chicago, though I had no interest in getting bound for New Orleans or taking a jump through Mississippi. I did, however, relish the idea of getting out to California through the forests and the pines, and eventually I DID get to make THAT trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment