Sunday, May 22, 2022

Shared Shining

 Song 616: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Gloria by Them, written by Van Morrison, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I didn't hear or know about this rocker when it arrived as the B-side of a hit 45 in late 1964, but a couple of years later, it started to get very familiar. I probably heard a few friends play the single, but the place where I really got to know it was on bus rides to NYC. During my HS stretch I got to participate in several educational field trips to places like the Bronx Zoo, and on those excursions, I got to listen to some wonderful radio plays, but also, a group of my fellow students liked to spend some time just singing this song together. Ever since then, whenever I catch this cut, I picture a bunch of HS student colleagues singing together on the inside of a bus rolling along a divided highway through the green Catskill Mountain forest preserve on a sunny warm spring afternoon. These days, a certain attractive female comes around who happens to be about five feet four from her head to the ground, and when she comes around here at just about midnight, or possibly an hour or two earlier, she makes me feel so good, Lord. In fact, I wanna say she makes me feel all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment