Sunday, January 23, 2022

Genre Personified

 Song 599: This week the playlist applauds Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin, written by John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. As the 1970s unfolded and I began living a life independent from the fundamentalist household where I had grown up, I had the freedom to listen to the devil's music as much as I wanted, and some punchy rumblers came along that quickly grabbed my attention. I added the untitled 33 commonly known as Led Zeppelin IV to my LP collection not long after it showed up in late 1971, and it became a regular spinner on the turntable. This marks the second appearance of an LZ4 cut on this list, with Stairway to Heaven being Song 288. Around the time this mover shook the airwaves, it became the quartet's concert opener, and understandably played that role (and roll) for a while. Now, for way too many Americans, most of the last two years have been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time, and it sure seems so long since we walked in the moonlight, but my advice is to open your arms and let some love come running in.

No comments:

Post a Comment