Sunday, January 2, 2022

Country Music Center Felines

 Song 596: This week the playlist recognizes Nashville Cats by The Lovin' Spoonful, written by John Sebastian, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Happy Meow Year! Just like 7 of my last 9 blogs here, tonight marks the first appearance of this particular group in my favorite song gathering. Soon after I finished and released Purrfection: The Cat Single last spring, I decided to put together a YouTube cat song playlist, and I did a Facebook post asking for suggestions that might fit the concept. Among the replies I got, someone mentioned this roller, and while it’s not really a cat tale and doesn't belong on the playlist of those (which is called CATegorically-Correct Songs and which you can find by clicking on the title), being reminded of the gem led to an intention to add it to this bunch. I don't remember exactly when these talented Tennessee musician types first crossed my radar, but by the early 1970s, as I accumulated a growing LP collection, I definitely had a 33 that featured the anthem, and it got plenty of spins on the turntable, expanding my appreciation for singer/songwriter Sebastian in the process. It felt inspiring to hear about mothers from somewhere who were not uptight about possibly having one of the kids (or more) wanting to play music, especially in light of my own parents' opposition back then to my interest in melodic rambling where I also intended to play clean as country water and wild as mountain dew.

No comments:

Post a Comment