Sunday, January 30, 2022

Banging for Entrance

 Song 600: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Keep A-Knockin' by Little Richard, written by Richard Penniman, J. Mayo Williams and Bert Mays, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This LR shaker gets credit for inspiring last week's Led Zeppelin jaunt, and hearing the two next to each other would make that connection quite obvious. During my HS stretch I mistakenly thought that the British Invaders had invented RnR, but as the 1970s arrived and I had the freedom to explore the real story of the music style I craved, I soon found out how folks like Mr. Penniman had laid the foundation for rock. Along that decade, the Chicago-area rock stations did a 1950s revival, and so sometimes I would get to hear compelling hits like this that hadn't previously crossed my ears, thereby increasing my respect for such moving pioneers. It makes sense that if you want to enter a particular building and you keep a-knockin’ but you can't come in, probably the best option would be to simply come back tomorrow night and try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment