Sunday, October 17, 2021

A Magical Player

 Song 585: This week the playlist applauds Pinball Wizard by The Who, written by Pete Townshend, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This resounding rocker rose over the airwaves shortly before the spring of my senior HS year arrived, and I really relished the moment I got to hear it while visiting the local Boys and Girls Club across the river from my stomping ground, just a couple of miles from my childhood home. I had joined a group of fellow HS students learning and practicing judo, and we had regular weekly sessions at the B&GC, so that probably led to the magic instant when this gem lit the room, though I would also occasionally go to the facility to practice swimming in its pool. Two years later I added the Tommy double-album to my LP stock, which gave the cut a much-different backdrop. When I was a young boy, I didn't get to play the silver ball because my folks couldn't afford to hand me pocket change for the game, so back then I had of course seen nothin' like him in any amusement hall, and if I ever had in the 5 decades since, I'd never forget watching the digit counters fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment