Sunday, October 31, 2021

Small Scarlet Vehicle

 Song 587: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Little Red Corvette by Prince, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Last week I featured an anthem by The Bangles called Manic Monday which was written by Prince, and in doing so, I realized that I hadn't yet added an original record of his to the list, so tonight a special colorful mover marks his first appearance among this group. At the time he got this vehicle rolling, I lived in Berkeley, CA, and I don't recall ever encountering a Corvette on the streets there, though I felt that Mr. Royalty did convey quite well the sound and sense you might get if such a sports car did happen to come rocketing through the community. In the following 3 decades, residing mostly in the NYC area, I have no memories of meeting a fancy Chevy there either. However, during the 1990s, this tune did inspire a line in my song Drivin' in My Sleep Again (you can find the lyric video of that by clicking on the title) - I thought I was drivin' in my old black Dodge van but now here I am in a Little Red Corvette. Over the past decade, now dwelling in a more rural neighborhood, I have witnessed many of these noisy roadsters, and they do sound like a pocket full of horses. You could try to tell the drivers that they've got to slow down because they're movin' much too fast, but most of them act like they’d rather run the car body right into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment