Sunday, October 10, 2021

Not Booting Fur

 Song 584: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's amusing jaunt Don’t Kick the Cat comes from a long-time singer/songwriter buddy Terry Kitchen, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Soon after I completed my CD Purrfection: The Cat Single back in early April, when I had copies in hand, I sent one to Terry, and not long after I did, I got a copy in the mail of his latest album Lost Songs. The disc has quite a few engaging rambles, but the one that immediately grabbed me on the first spin was, of course, this feline anthem. My friendship with the Kitchen fellow goes back to the late 1980s, and i will always recall the September 1994 Sober in the Sun festival that we both attended and did performances at. During a campfire song circle in the evening, I played my furry excursion Curiosity, and he had a strong reaction to it - he told me I had to finish the story in the lyrics, and his suggestion prompted me to add the 4th verse, which begins with the phrase Circumstantial evidence. You can find a lyric video of Curiosity by clicking on the title here. On the personal friend song post from 7 weeke ago I featured a shiner called Pussy Cat, so this week continues the CATegorically-correct POV. I mentioned in that segment about Pussy Cat that it had inspired the opening track of Purrfection (which is It Takes a Cat and which you can find a lyric video of by clicking on that title), so now I wonder if maybe Curiosity played a role in spawning Don’t Kick the Cat, though I won't make a claim that it did - I'll leave that to Terry to admit, or not. I will say that whatever I've done in life to get a better angle, thankfully a big ball of fur never got my feet in a tangle, and also, I can now appreciate the fact that my slippers have never exploded in a big meow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment