Sunday, October 24, 2021

Frenzied Timetable Commencement

 Song 586: This week the playlist comes around to Manic Monday by The Bangles, written by Prince, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I well remember when this hit got my attention while living in Berkeley, CA. Similar to a bunch of music critics, I immediately connected it to the Mamas & the Papas classic Monday, Monday (Song 302) from 20 years earlier. As the first instance of this female quartet crossing my radar, it soon moved me to get a copy of the LP Different Light which features this cut. The 33's title track In a Different Light appeared on this list in 2016 as Song 331. I genuinely relished the entire record, and I appreciated the way it put an end to the mildly male-supremacist narrative that women could not rock the world the way men could and did. I really liked having The Bangles rock my world when their album spun on the turntable, and I felt happy to go along when they suggested c'mon honey, let's go make some noise. We all know that time it goes so fast when you're having fun, so after I finish this post on a Sunday night, even if I then get to spend a little time in the middle of a dream by a crystal blue Italian stream, when the morning light arrives it will once again be just another Manic Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment