Sunday, November 7, 2021

Arriving at the Proper Circumstance

 Song 588: This week on the playlist you’ll find That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be by Carly Simon, written by Carly Simon and Jacob Brackman, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Last week marked the first appearance of Prince among this group and this week is Carly's premiere here. Again, I don't know how I got so far along before including a CS gem, but I will certainly give her more numbers in the near future. This shiner arrived in the spring of my college sophomore year, and I recall enjoying the moment when it enlivened a car's radio speakers as I rode along with friends on a rural cruise one afternoon that summer. A couple of decades later I would actually get to know a woman who had resided in Carly's circle around the time of this hit and who had hooked up during that era with a young guy working as Ms. Simon’s ivory player and song arranger - that former boyfriend Billy Mernit got credit on the LP jacket for his keyboard contributions to this cut and other tracks from the album. In the present day, I expect that my friends from college they're all married now, and regardless of the pandemic, I would hope most of them still have their houses and their lawns. I want to believe that as humans we can keep our love alive, someday soon resolve the question marks, and then soar like the birds through the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment