Sunday, November 28, 2021

Confined to Uncertainty

 Song 591: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's intriguing jaunt Stranded in Limbo comes from a Bay Area comerade Jim Bruno, who also wrote the song. He joined the Berkeley songwriter circle that I hung out with in the late 1970s and most of the 1980s - in fact, I introduced him to the group that gathered at the pizza parlor just north of the U.C. campus. I heard this gem for the first time recently which enlivens his 2017 release Long Story Short, but as soon as I did, I thought it sounded very appropriate for the pandemic era that we and our fellow humans have experienced in the last year and a half, and which arrived over 2 years after Jim’s record appeared. The whole scenario feels like an endless road to a hollow home with plenty of broken promises like broken bones, and as it keeps going, do you wonder where it will end? I sure do, and maybe we shouldn't have expected much, since no one owes you the human touch, so every day it's fade to black, no going forward, no going back - at this point, we're stranded in limbo. In the morning, sometimes it's drought, sometimes it's flood, and they say the problem is in our blood (or our lungs), although perhaps we'll get to another angle of the story someday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to analyze the song, Dave. It's much appreciated. I hope all is well with you and yours. Jim

    ReplyDelete