Sunday, December 6, 2020

Linked Gathering of Clowns

 Song 541: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Chain of Fools by Aretha Franklin, written by Don Covay, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This hit arrived around this time of the year back in 1967, shortly before the Christmas break in my junior year of HS, and I felt like I also had become a link in a particular young woman's Chain of Fools, so I quickly felt I could sing along and I knew exactly what Aretha meant when she gave voice to these pointed sentiments. In fact, it felt like I had gotten an early gift on the airwaves without having to write a letter to Santa, receiving a musical reward for being a good boy, though of course, at the time I would have preferred a romantic present, but that did not come my way. Currently, with big question marks hanging in the air, it does seem like one of these mornings the chain is gonna break but up until the day I’m gonna take all I can take, knowing that every chain has got a weak link, and you never know what might give you strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment