Sunday, December 27, 2020

Touch Lips With a Saintly Soul

 Song 544: This week the playlist comes around to Kiss an Angel Good Mornin' by Charley Pride, written by Ben Peters, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I don't remember if I heard this hit when it first came out in late 1971, or if I got to know it later in the decade, but at some point it became quite familiar, and it pleased me to learn that the performer had the distinction of being the most prominent African-American country singer, given that there aren't very many black members of the country club. I decided to add a Pride cut to the list this week because, sadly, he left the land of the living earlier this month, on 12/12/20. Back in the 1990s, I included him in my song As Long as Merle is Still Haggard - the second line of the chorus is As long as Charley still has his Pride, and you can hear that tune and check out the YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Many people may try to guess the secret of happiness but some of them never learn it's a simple thing, though during a pandemic scenario, it might not seem so simple, but it still sounds like fine advice to, if you can, kiss an angel good mornin' and love her like a devil when you get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment