Sunday, December 13, 2020

An Uprooted Evergreen

 Song 542: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's holiday gift Tree comes from my Brooklyn folkie colleague Ilene Weiss, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. One night in 1987, on a brief visit to NYC while I still resided in CA, I saw her do a set at Folk City, and I instantly became an IW fan. About a year later, I moved to Brooklyn and soon joined the local singer/songwriter circle that included her. I recently discovered this shining 1990s ornament that tells a very typical December green tree story - if they could talk to us, this is probably what most of them would say. Interestingly enough, in January of this year I learned that evidently trees do talk to each other, though they don't talk to us. Regardless of how the evergreens feel about our treatment of them, I basically agree with the assertion that real Christmas trees are better for the environment than artificial ones (real vs. artificial trees). Ah, but what's that I hear? You knocked me down, then you dressed me up for the pictures that you posed me in and you looked at me so adoringly 'til you knocked me down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment