Sunday, November 29, 2020

Adding Up the Sadness

 Song 540: This week the playlist recognizes Heartaches By The Number by Ray Price, written by Harlan Howard, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I got to know this hit and a bunch of additional country classics thanks to the extensive LP collection of the Ohio relatives that my family visited every summer in the 1950s, and every even-numbered summer in the 1960s. Like a lot of other songs, I soon learned the chorus on this one well enough that I could sing along with it as it spun on the turntable, and I would also occasionally vocalize it by myself during moments of isolation. Sadly, due to the current pandemic situation, way too many people these days have heartaches by the number and troubles by the score, though romantic entanglements have little if anything to do with the vast majority of the problems. The disease can easily make someone feel that they can't win, but hopefully the day people can stop counting their heartaches and troubles will not be the day the world will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment