Sunday, September 22, 2024

Jagged Jewel

 Song 738: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's ruffled gem Diamond in the Rough comes from one of my Berkeley, CA, comrades Shawn Colvin.The song was written by Shawn Colvin and John Leventhal, and you can find a cool YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. She and her musical partner Jim Bruno had both moved from Illinois to the East Bay area around the time that I did that in the summer of 1978, and in the spring of 1979, I met them at this small folkie spot in San Francisco. I had already gotten roped into the Berkeley singer/songwriter circle, and I invited them to do the same thing, which they did do after their second open mic performance at the pizza place where we all hung out. Shawn soon became one of the stars of that circle, but then in the summer of 1986, she moved to NYC. When I did a trip there the following summer, I got to see her perform at The Bottom Line in Manhattan, and I really enjoyed her set. A year later, I moved to NYC, and soon after I did, I had a copy of Shawn's LIVE TAPE cassette, which opens with this melodic rhinestone, and it didn't take long to start singing along with it. Even in the present, every now and then I can see that I'm getting somewhere, and though last night I lost too much sleep, hopefully tonight I'm gonna find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment