Sunday, November 26, 2023

Farewell to Amber Pavement

 Song 695: This week the playlist recognizes Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John, written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During my younger years in the 1950s and 1960s, my family and I every year got to see the famous film The Wizard of Oz on TV, I think around this time in the autumn. As soon as we learned the date that it would appear, we all made plans to watch it. When Elton started catching people's ears with this engaging saunter back in the spring of 1973, those of us who had regularly seen Judy Garland strolling along with a scarecrow, a tin man and a cowardly lion as they tried to get to the Emerald City understood the suggestive sarcastic message conveyed by the hit's lyrics. Throughout that year, I lived with my wife in an apartment in southern Evanston, so no one could plant me in a penthouse at the time, and I had already decided that my future also had to lie beyond the yellow brick road.

No comments:

Post a Comment