Sunday, August 20, 2023

Your Deceiving Ticker

 Song 681: This week the playlist puts the spotlight on Your Cheatin' Heart by Hank Williams, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. During my single-digit years, my family would visit my father's relatives in western Ohio every summer, and around the time I hit age 7, when we made that visit, my aunt and uncle would give me access to their stereo and C&W record collection. I remember getting to hear a bunch of Hank classics, and I soon developed plenty of respect for the guy and his multiple talents. It didn't take long to learn this ramble, and after having done so, I think my older brother and I sang it together in the car while on that lengthy ride back home, which took nearly a whole day, back in the era before the interstate highways got built. I recall my father at some point having a negative response to this melodic drive which carried intimations of infidelity, because such action would reek of immorality to someone with strong fundamentalist values, so after his criticism, we avoided that musical lift while in his company, and similar ones as well. Sadly for Mr. Williams, this recording came from his last studio session, and he died before getting to see it top the charts. These days I do know someone who all too often will try to sleep, but sleep won't come the whole night through, though in her case, when she has to toss around, the problems seem to stem mainly from her nasal and/or intestinal issues, NOT from love she threw away.

No comments:

Post a Comment