Sunday, August 6, 2023

Thumb Conveyance

 Song 679: This week the playlist comes around to Hitch a Ride by Boston, written by Thom Scholz, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. In the middle of the 1970s, while going through the brutal frigidity of a Windy City icy season, I found out about the milder climate of the SF Bay Area and started making plans to head that way. However, I had a bad tooth situation occur that meant that I’d have to spend two more years in the Chicago region before I could aim west. Around that time, I also had my first 16-track 2-inch-tape recording session, and when the Boston album arrived in the late summer of 1976, I thought the songs sounded good but the studio rock ring Mr. Scholz had given them made them reverberate in a much more engaging way, which I appreciated after my own studio experience. In the early warm months of 1978, I knew I was gonna hitch a ride, head for the other side, leave it all behind and never change my mind. I hoped to not have to face the coldest winter ever again or have to crack the ice and fly, and not long after I pointed my thumb westward, I got the lifts I needed to convey me to the West Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment