Sunday, August 13, 2023

Urging Silence

 Song 680: This week on the playlist you can hear Hush by Deep Purple, written by Joe South, and you can find an entertaining YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. The DP quintet started catching everyone's ears during the summer of 1968 with their directive for someone to quiet down, and it might have sounded familiar, since a different version had appeared a year earlier, but this rendition came across as much stronger and got more notice. The Fab Four and Rolling Stone 5 had both headed in a psychedelic direction the year before, and I didn't know what to make of those moves, but I appreciated the rougher tones coming from types like the DP 5, even though, in a fundamentalist religious home that disparaged the devil's music, the heavier rock conveyed a more evil message. I tried to be a good boy, but the beat really moved me. At the time, a certain young woman was on my mind, and I thought she looked so fine, despite how she soon turned my attraction to her into quicksand. When I found out about the ring she got from a different guy, that broke my heart, and I had to tell the emotions encircling me to hush, hush!

No comments:

Post a Comment