Sunday, May 7, 2023

Consuming Dudes

 Song 666: This week on the playlist you’ll find Maneater by Hall & Oates, written by Sara Allen, Daryl Hall and John Oates, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. When this Song 666 arrived in December of 1982, we had gotten about halfway through the first term of POTUS 40 who I labelled as President 666, because those were his name numbers. To be clear, his VP, who later became POTUS 41, and who I now refer to as HW, I could have called President 6764. Having grown up in a fundamentalist home, the number 666 referred to the mark of the beast, and I got warned during my childhood that possibly this Biblical monster might one day occupy the White House. I soon noticed after the 1980 election that no one else ever connected Ronald with his 3 numbers, and fundamentalists viewed him as a saint, although I could tell he never spent any time in a religious setting. Around the time the H & O duo started warning everyone about a ravenous female figure, I got some bad news about the young woman that I had tried in vain to embrace for three years - she had gotten lit up by a different guy, and I knew at that point that I could not spark her the way he had. I had been in it for love but I didn't get too far - I thought the beauty was there but whatever mind over matter I might have had, she did not chew me up because she had no taste for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment