Sunday, May 21, 2023

Disabled Luxury Roadster

 Song 668: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's engaging ramble Broke Down Limousine comes from another one of my Fast Folk colleagues, David Hamburger, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. This marks his first appearance in this collection. I hooked up with the FF crowd soon after I moved to Brooklyn in the fall of 1988. When 1994 rolled around, I got a bit distant from the FF circle when I moved to nearby NJ, but I still spent some time in Manhattan with a trio of Elderadoes putting together my Country Drivin' CD. At a certain point, proceeding with that project, I decided I'd like to have a pedal steel guitar tonality enliven one of the tracks, and I appreciated having my FF friend Hamburger add that sound to As Long as Merle is Still Haggard (which you can hear and see a YouTube video of by clicking on the title). Around that time I lived on the farm that appears in the video, with the older man in it being my landlord. Then, in early 1996 I had another FF connection when I began working with David Seitz, who soon became my studio partner, and who I continue working with to this day. At the time, he did the FF recording sessions, and I started doing the FF graphics. In doing so, I got to hear the FF version of this intriguing meandering ride which appeared on issue 7 of volume 8. When you feel like going nowhere, it won't cost a nickel to ride in this particular vehicle, and you need no license and no ignition key, so apparently it's the perfect ride. From my perspective, in my own song Steely Blues, which I just posted a lyric video of today on YouTube, and which you can hear and see by clicking on the title, I explain about the only time I ever rode in a long black limousine, so that's what I have to say about the subject, but I guess if you got to ride the storm out, evidently the best way to do so is to ride in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment