Sunday, March 26, 2023

Radiant Celebrity

Song 660: This week the playlist applauds Sunshine Superman by Donovan, who also wrote the song, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. Along my HS years, my best friend soon became a big fan of a certain Scottish Don guy, as did I, and since the two of us had much of our genealogy coming from that fellow's homeland, we felt a kind of mystical connection with him. In the middle of the summer following our freshman year, Mr. Leitch took us on an engaging melodic lift that gave us a crafty shining clue about his talent for magically covering ground at a high level and also for diving deep where gems might hide. Back then, my best friend's brother would often buy 45s from the latest Top 40 list, and when he got tired of spinning the discs, he'd sell them to me for less than half of what he had paid for them. I don't recall if I picked this one up from him, but regardless of whether I did so or not, I DID get to hear the shiner a lot during those bright warm sunny days that season, and I enjoyed the way it lit up my daily background. Being a typical young male, I of course pictured myself as a potential Sunshine Superman for a couple of attractive young women in my age range, although they themselves probably didn’t see me that way. Now that the current year's warmer stretch has arrived in the northeast region, we here can start thinking 'bout all the rainbows that over the next few months we might have for our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment