Sunday, April 2, 2023

Vessel Within a Jar

 Song 661: Seven weeks after my previous personal friend song post, this week's sailing ride Ship in a Bottle comes from one of my closest Fast Folk buddies Keith Kelly, and oddly enough, this marks his first inclusion in this collection. You can find a YouTube video of the song by clicking on the title. Soon after I moved to Brooklyn in September of 1988, I got introduced to the FF singer/songwriter circle, and the weekly fresh tune gathering at Jack Hardy's apartment on Houston Street in Manhattan quickly became part of my schedule. I befriended a bunch of my fellow melodic crafters, and I soon found out that Keith had a song with the same title that I did. When I got to hear it, I noticed that he took the lyrical idea in a direction similar to the one I had chosen, and I appreciated his handling of the concept. In the early 1990s we did at least one appearance where we travelled together up to a New England night club and we each did a solo set on stage. Later in that decade, I asked him to make a visit to my family's upstate home, which is where I currently reside, and I have remained in contact with him, unlike so many of my other FF colleagues who I have lost touch with over the years. Along these oceans of memories and the seas of the world, I can recall that the nights were for loving and singing our songs, and fortunately, some of us are still voicing our stories. On a side note, you can hear and see a YouTube lyric video of my Ship in a Bottle by clicking on the title here.

No comments:

Post a Comment