Sunday, August 14, 2022

Merry-go-round Expedition

 Song 628: This week on the playlist you can hear On a Carousel by the Hollies, written by Graham Nash, Allan Clarke and Tony Hicks, and you can find a YouTube video of it by clicking on the title. I had planned for a few years to add this classic to the group, at some point during the warmer months, and I finally got around to it at what has become a very relevant moment. FWIW, this marks the Hollies' first appearance in the bunch. When their merry spin caught my ears amid the winter season of my HS sophomore year, it quickly became a favorite. In 2010, soon after I returned to my childhood home, I found out that the area I grew up in has a reputation for its collection of remarkable carousels. Appropriately, this ride rolled through my mind during the magical warm-weather moments along my grade 10-12 years when I had the pleasure of sitting in the saddle of a wooden equine as it went up and down while moving around a circle. One of the best spins in the neighborhood sat in a park that also featured a wildlife zoo, and that still does. I had relished my visits and merry-go-round rides there growing up, and in the last few years have made a stop or two there again. I recently learned that I will make another visit there this coming Saturday, this time because The American Civic Association will present their 2022 Garlic Festival at Ross Park, rather than at their HQ building on Front Street in Binghamton, where the previous ones that I performed at were held. My set will start at 4 pm, and after I finish my songs, I intend to then spend some time going round and round and round and round and round and round and round, and, of course, up, down, up, down, up, down too.

No comments:

Post a Comment